How about a Jolly Roger polo?
Big News! You can now "represent" as part of the Jolly Roger Ukulele pirates by doing an Amazon order. I don't get anything out of this, but you'll get a cool shirt. Here's the steps.
The material is the thinner athletic type -- you might need to wear a V-neck underneath. I always get black (because I'm boring). Sizing was what I expected. I've washed them a bunch of time now and they're holding up just fine perhaps because the material is made by science.
* Upload the logo when you "customize it."
* You don't need to fill in anything in the font section. Leave it all blank.
Now, if you're new here
Let's get started! Here are the basic things you should know. You probably oughta read this page.
- My name is Gary Jugert. Here's what you need to know about me and the website.
- I didn't really start taking music seriously until I was 35 and it's never been "easy" for me. I hope to make it easier for you than it was for me, but it's still super challenging.
- To become a producer of music instead of a consumer of it, we'll be using everything that's useful and tossing out anything that's silly.
- I spent 10 years on piano prior to finding my first ukulele 20 years ago. Ukulele was wildly UN-popular back in those days.
- I've been teaching instrumental ukulele for 15 years now. I personally don't want to sing, but I will make sure you know all the tools to play ukulele while singing if you want, and all of the other ways too.
- The method here is meant for anybody who can read numbers. I've taught ages 7 to 90+ using this system. This system was invented in the mid-14th century, was fully developed by the 17th century, and it still works today exactly the same way it did then.
- This method is meant for life-long musical learning, and once you're comfy with it, you'll be able to play anything on any fretted instrument and you'll be able to write your own too.
- This method is also meant for you to use in teaching others.
- And finally, I founded and conduct the Rocky Mountain Ukulele Orchestra and the Denver Guitar Orchestra because I am passionate about "ordinary" people making extraordinary music.
- This program teaches you how to play ukulele in all the possible ways. Not just one way. And not necessarily just ukulele. You will become a real musician. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.
- You should sign up for our email newsletter right now. The widget is on the top of the right column.
- You should start with the Foundations classes, even if you've had previous ukulele experience.
- If you are able, please join us daily for the live YouTube broadcasts. They're free.
- If you can't make those, you should watch the archive videos when you can. They're also free.
- We have several classes each week and each has a different focus.
- Daily at 4 pm: Foundations to Ukulele Book 1.
- Daily at 4:30 pm: Continuing Ukulele Book 2.
- Daily at 5 pm: Book 3 ... which could be just about anything.
- Daily at 5:30 pm: Ensemble play-along with the harmonica group.
- Mondays at 7 pm: Ukulele Orchestra for website members.
- The sections on the website are
- Home Page: Lists the schedule and songs for the week.
- Ukulele & Baritone: This is a step-by-step list of what you should do to learn to play.
- Orchestra: Everything you need to know for Monday nights.
- Video Archive: Find recordings of all the previous YouTube events.
- Teachers: This page has resources especially built for teachers.
- Subscribe: Information on how to join the website as a paying member.
- Member Portal: Top secret section for paying members only. This is where the fancy stuff is.
- About: You're on that page now.
- We have a subscriber section for several reasons:
- Some music is copyright protected and can't be left in out in the open.
- The subscriber section serves as a library for all of the arrangements we've done since the beginning.
- The Monday night meeting is for subscribers only. It's where you master music. And you want to hang out with the cool kids, right? They think they're the cool kids on Monday night.
- Your subscription is pretty dang cheap for what you get, supports the ongoing expenses of running this site, and makes you feel like you're doing the right thing for the future of music.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- I am perpetually way behind on email. I will get to you eventually (probably). I promise to read every email. I don't necessarily promise I will write you back. The more time it takes to answer your email, the less likely it is I will have time to respond to you. Keep it simple. 🙂
- You can call or text 303-984-0777
- If you leave a voicemail I will probably never hear it. Sorry. I just don't have time.
- Playing and teaching ukulele: https://jollyrogerukulele.com
- Harmonica, cool stuff, and Gary's personal nonsense: https://mammothgardens.com
- Rocky Mountain Ukulele Orchestra: https://ukuleleorchestra.org
- Denver Guitar Orchestra: https://denverguitarorchestra.com
Wanna Help Out?
The best thing you can do for me is become a member of the website. Check it out here. If you were thinking, yeah, I'd like to pay for his Starbucks you can Venmo me at Gary-Jugert or you can PayPal me at https://PayPal.me/garyjugert
Approximate Daily Schedule
- Rooms open up at approximately the right time and I post a link on the website. Hit reload.
- If you've subscribed to my YouTube channel, you can go there directly and hit reload until I go live. You'll be first to know.
- I talk a LOT. Some of the things I say are helpful. Some are not. I'm probably never going to change.
- Most classes end on time or may go over a bit, but you can always sneak out if you have a hot date.
- It's free. Stay home. Rawk.
- Don't sit and listen ... get your instrument out and do what you can.
- Tell people about this program. It's good.
- Please subscribe to my YouTube channel so they'll start sending me free puppies.
- Perfection is not a goal ... showing up is.
- I want to give you the option to NOT sing by playing instrumentally. Shhh.
- Play at whatever level makes the most sense for you, and then reach for the next level.
- Members have access to more modern music. Consider subscribing.
Future Themes We Might Do Someday. Any other ideas?
- Bruno Mars Week
- Cat Stevens Week
- Disney Week
- Dolly Parton Week
- Jack Johnson Week
- James Taylor Week
- Jim Croce
- Looney Tunes for Ukulele
- Love Week
- Movies Week
- Neil Diamond Week
- Patriotic Week
- Peter, Paul and Mary
- Pirate Week
- Sound of Music
- Spanish Guitar Tunes
- Star Wars
- TV Themes Week
A Video About Me
The local orchestra nominated me for this award and Channel 7 elected to highlight our program!